Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gratitude.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.."~JFK

As August roles around (yes, I said AUGUST?! Where did the summer go??), I have had moments to reflect upon my summer and wonder how well it went. Overall, lately, I have been feeling exhausted, burnt out, angry, frusterated, the list goes on and on.....which isn't normal for me. At times I have even felt and expressed (yes, shocking) a negative attitude! The other day I literally had to STOP myself out loud and wonder what the heck is going on with me? Partially, I am too busy this summer. Because I spent five glorious months in the US Virgin Islands (an experience I will eternally be grateful for), I have spent my summer playing 'catch up' between working 3 different jobs & taking two summer school classes. This leaves little time for socializing and play, which is detrimental to my well-being ( and who's wouldn't it be?). So, instead of continuing these feelings I asked myself what can I do? How can I become more in control? A tool I use daily ( and found myself not using it as frequently) is gratitude. Being thankful from the little pleasures in life to being thankful for the bigger things in life, such as purpose or those meaningful relationships we all have. So, I decided to make a list of the top things in life that I am entirely grateful in my life ( I can feel my positive attitude coming back!! Woo hoo!!)...

1. Relationships. As an extrovert and one who seeks to find the meaning & purpose of my life, I have found that one thing I am incredibly grateful for is the amazing people in my life. From family to friends to the people I have met traveling the world to my co-workers to ....the list goes on and on.....I love relationships. I have a natural ability to let people into my life ( and hope they allow me to enter theirs) to provide support, comfort, share laughs with, cry with, love, and together make meaning and purpose. I truly believe I have some of the best people in the world in my life- and will continue to because it energizes me!

2. Travel. I have been truly blessed with a thirst for adventure, to see the world, to explore other cultures, to learn from others....and because of this travel, I have become more open. I have become less judgemental, more accepting, have been able to appreciate the things I have seen and done but also what others have as well.....at at the age of 21, I have seen a lot. I will continue to love my spirit for adventure and appreciate travel of any sort- whether it is a road trip with great friends ( which I will be doing to end my summer....off with girlfriends I grew up with to Chicago for a long weekend!), studying abroad, living abroad, etc. etc.

3. Laughter. I am sooo grateful for laughter. Sometimes I take life to seriously ( I have a tendency to want to grow up faster than I really should), and there is nothing better than sitting around laughing with friends, at yourself ( which I tend to do a lot), wherever and whenever. Laughter is good for the soul- it can ease tension, make people feel better, allows us to be children again, etc.

4. I am grateful for a roof over my head, food on my table, insurance, and clean drinking water. I will never forget the day when I was studying abroad in Capetown, South Africa and we were in Guguletu ( taking a tour of the township) and I for the first time witnessed people standing in line waiting for electricity. It was explained to our group that people wait hours, sometimes their entire day, to scrap up what money they could find in exchange for enough electricity to cook their evening dinner. This was a TRUE wake up call that I have been priviledged enough to grow up in an area of the world and surrounded by family who has been able to provide for me- I not once had to think about where I would be sleeping, if there would be food on my plate, or if the water I was drinking would make me sick. I am and continue to be thankful for this.

5. Work. Yes, I said it....I am grateful I have a job! (and not just one, but three!). Sometimes it is easy to forget, for me, that hundreds of thousands of people in the United States ( let alone aroune the world) are out of jobs...unable to pay their bills, feed their families, pay for education, etc. I am grateful for jobs I generally genuinly enjoy, to work with talented people, to find meaning in the work I do, and to get paid for it so I can pay my bills and provide for myself.


6. Education. This one really hits home, on a personal and professional level. Upon reflecting and making meaning to my study abroad experience in South Africa ( as well as the Virgin Islands), I have found I have a deeper passion for education. Not only for my own education ( and that I have always had an opportunity and that no one ever told me I could not), but for helping people who do not have easy access to education. Education, in my eyes, is one of the world's most powerful tools, transformationally. I remind myself that college is expensive, but there is no price tag for learning. The opportunities, experiences, and things I have learned, have made me into who I am and provide me we with a life full of meaning and purpose, as well as will one day allow me to people other's who don't.

7. Fans/ Air Conditioning. Ha Ha. Yes! I said it. After spending 5 months in a tropical climate ( without air conditioning) there is nothing better than being able to go home, turn on the air conditioning on a hot & humid day, and feel comfortable. This one is very simple, yet well stated.

And there you have it. I'm sure I could keep going, but I feel those all encompass my general gratitude in life. And to end this post with a question ( because we all know I LOVE questions)....

What are YOU grateful for?

Emily

1 comment: