Thursday, June 17, 2010

OPPORTUNITIES.

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”...

This past week I had an interview with a fabulously talented women for an internship through the Office of Student Engagement at the University of Minnesota. The internship is a requirement for my HRD ( human resource development) degree and can be thought as a 'capstone' experience to help me take what I've learned in class and apply it to a 'real life' experience before I'm off into the real world. And to my pleasure and ABSOLUTE excitement, I am pleased to announce I scored the internship!!! WOOOOO HOOOO! Time to celebrate me and how hard I've worked for all of the opportunities that come my way. Now here are the juicy details ( what exactly will I be doing??)....

Starting the fall of 2010, I will be working in the Office of Student Engagement as an HRD intern helping plan, coordinate, and implement a series of training programs/workshops through a program for student employees on campus. This program is called SELP (Student Employee Leadership Programs). This past year was the first time they piloted this program on campus and they are reevaluating it to improve and tailor it to make it even better ( SO hrd....). This is where my position comes in. I will be doing various activities such as meeting with stankeholders ( people in the office of human resources, in the U of M community, etc.) to continue the development of these programs for student employees. The coolest part about this is the amount of networking I get to do with incredibly talented people- yay! I also get to continue to grow- personally and professionally. And the icing on the cake with this internship? I get to plan and coordinate a SELP awards banquet in the spring ( the purpose of this banquet is to celebrate and honor the students employees who have successfully completed this program)....ohhhh, I am squeeling with delight and excitement! I finally get to be a REAL event planner! I am beyond floored that I was chosen for this internship and cannot wait to work with in an office on campus that has an awesome mission, purpose, and of course- wonderfully talented employees! This IS the icing on my cake for my senior year.

And the best part about all of this? It makes me even more excited for 'life after college.' I have had an incredibly rewarding college experience- I have met some wonderful friends, developed relatiosnhips with people who will forever impact my life, had a multitude of diverse experiences and opportunities, studied abroad TWICE, and have experience more challenge and growth in my life than I have EVER experience.....but it has all been worth it.

So where does this leave me? Obviously, I can't wait to start this internship; but firstly, I will 'live in the present' and enjoy my summer- work, school, friends, beautiful weather, family vacations, and exploring the 'new me'.

Cheers,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment