Friday, June 11, 2010

Past, Present, Future

"Wherever you go, there you are."


Raise your hand if you struggle with the delicate balance between past, present, future? I sure know, I do and in fact, I'm actually a certified expert at it ( okay, just kidding). When is it appropriate to think about the past? When is it appropriate to deal with the future? And most importantly is it even okay to 'just be' in the present? I've always been fascinated and mindful of this particular subject matter, but haven't (until recently) fully realized the importance of finding the balance between all three.

If you've known me long enough, you will know one of my strengths is my ability to see things in my future ( HELLLOOO strengthsquest assessment, one of my top five strengths is futuristic). Now when I say future, I don't mean I will go all 'fortune teller' on you and explain to you how the rest of your entire life will pan out; however, I do have to say I have a pretty amazing ability to plan anything from my daily activities to planning any and every event to almost fitting EVERY genre of activity any college student would ever explore and pursue to, ultimatley, planning my entire life (my children's names, career(s), travel destinations)- to a tee. And not only am I really good at this, but I surely take pride in it and even would consider it a personal hobby- yikes!!! When did I realize this wasn't entirely normal? Let's fast forward ( ha ha, ironic huh) to fall 2010- my 1st semester of my junior year. As usual, I was doing a million things, and the topic of prescence came up in one of my leadership classes ( thank you once again, leadership minor). Well, we touched on presence, but not entirely enough- I desperately needed more. I found myself futher exploring presence- in books, in magazines, and in blogs ( life coach advice). So then, as usual, who did I turn to? I turn to my mentors and saught advice- what does PRESENCE mean to them? This is where the life lesson comes in- one of my most admired and treasured mentors, Jody, inspired me with the concept/quote of "Wherever you go, there you are." Since this encounter and discussion, I feel as if the universe is talking to me again ( HELLLLOO, because it is!!) and reminding me to 'be present'- as I sit and write this blog, right here, right NOW.

Fast forward after this particular discussion with my mentor and five months of studying through an exchange program in the Virgin Islands ( the island of presence- another story for another time), I am searching for my way to 'be present'. I know I can ask people for advice on how to be present, but truley, I will be able to practice it when I find my own way and start to explore and experience this concept.

So, I'm sure you're all asking, how are you goign to be present? Well, for starters, I'm in the process of exploring yoga. I won't even go into detail here, beacause we all konw about the power of being able to practice mindfulness and exercise at the same time. Secondly, I have used the "wherever you go, there you are" phrase as a mantra when things are chaotic/i'm trying to over-multitask/ or I'm not balancing past, present, future. Any more advice or suggestions? Ideas? ANNYYONNNE?!

SO, my question for you (readers out there!!!)- how do you "live in the now"/ "just be"/practice presence?


HAPPY WEEKEND :)

3 comments:

  1. first of all i have to say i love love love this. second of all i have to say, if my world is not momentarily chaotic, my mind is. i constantly remind myself of the simple things..to breathe & smile. i think of a peaceful place (USVI!!) or the things i am thankful for :)
    -Allison Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike, Allison! Simple is good....great tip of advice. That's why I just changed my profile picture on facebook to a picture that reminds me of the peacefulness and simple lifestyle I lived while on island.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this Emily! To live each day is to enjoy the present. There will come a time when the future becomes wanting to see how much your grandkids have grown, wondering what your kids will be, and knowing the garden is maturing and fresh produce is on it's way. It's nothing like the chaotic minds of our youth when everything is a question of what?. The past becomes cherished memories, of which you are making the most of, and enjoy talking about with your "old" friends and family. The present becomes that which you enjoy daily. Making the most of everyday whether you are helping others or just doing your daily living becomes your peace.
    Keep writing!
    Lisa Cantrell

    ReplyDelete